- Man vs. Wild – On a recent show, Bear Grylls killed an Octopus by biting between its eyes, then ate it while it was still twitching. He gets dropped off in places like the Arctic, Northern Africa, and tropical islands and has to live off the land and make it out. That’s versatile.
- Monsters Inside Me – This is a great show about parasites. People go to the doctor, they dismiss their problems, and later it’s found that they have some kind of parasites. It makes you wonder how often people have them and they go undiagnosed.
- Rivermonsters – Jeremy Wade goes fishing for giant fish. It always helps to have a dramatic British accent.
- Deadliest Catch – The camera follows several fishing boats who go off the coast of Alaska to catch crabs.
- MonsterQuest – It has jumped the shark a bit because so many of the stories are about Bigfoot, but it’s still pretty cool.
- Through the Wormhole – With Morgan Freeman, they discuss space, time travel, and other interesting stuff.
- Pawn Stars – Maybe this doesn’t belong here, but it’s a great show. A pawn shop owner works with his father and his son to buy stuff people bring in. Only in real life I never find old junk that I can sell for a lot of money.
- Dog the Bounty Hunter
- Ax Men
- How the Earth was Made
- Ice Road Truckers
Posts Tagged ‘history’
John Isner of the U.S. and Nicolas Mahut of France are playing a marathon tennis match at Wimbledon. Isner leads Mahut 41 games to 40 in the fifth set. It’s the longest match in tennis history. Records have already been set for the longest set and match ever in number of games and length of time. Also most aces combined.
Isner, the 23rd seed, leads the match 6-4, 3-6, 6-7, 7-6, 41-40. Watch it on ESPN2 to see history being made.
I once played a long set in a match that would determine who got the final singles spot on the high school tennis team. The loser would play number one doubles. You had to play an 8-game pro-set, so the first to 8 games would win, but you had to win by two games. So I ended up losing, 17-15. It was my worst loss ever, absolutely devastating, because I felt sure I was going to play singles. My mistake was going for a water break up 15-14. I lost some momentum then. But I ended up going 12-3 in doubles. In singles I probably would’ve been closer to .500.
When will it end? I have to go now, but I’ll guess that it’ll be something like 48-46. Unbelievable and awesome. What a great sports day with the earlier drama of the U.S. beating Algeria in soccer in the final minute to advance in the World Cup.